Sunday, April 19, 2009

Too Many Kids!

Lately, my new reality TV show obsession has been on TLC. It’s actually several different shows with the same theme. The most popular one, and my favorite is Jon and Kate Plus Eight. Several other shows like it are 18 and Counting and Table For Twelve.

All these shows have to do with families who have more than the average amount of children and how their lives differ from the average family. You can tell exactly how many kids each has by the title of their show.

In this blog, I am going to talk about Jon and Kate Plus Eight because I am most familiar with this one and because it is my favorite. This show consists of parents Jon and Kate, fraternity twin girls, and fraternity sextuplets (three boys and three girls). A camera crew follows them through their daily lives focusing on the challenges of raising multiple children.

Jon and Kate met at a picnic in 1997 and were married in 1999. When the couple decided it was time to start a family Kate was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, which turned the couple to fertility treatment. In February of 2000, Kate became pregnant with twins. Cara and Mady were born.

They began thinking of having another child, so they turned to fertility treatment once again. Five weeks after she found out she was pregnant for the second time they told her it was sextuplets. The six children were born May of 2004. They were nicknamed the “Hershey’s Kisses” since they were born in Hershey, Pennsylvania.

Their more recent episodes have been them upgrading into a new, much bigger, beautiful home. They also have a “Go Green” episode, where they are taught how to make their home as energy efficient as possible. They install electric solar panels, solar thermal panels, and solar powered lights along the driveway. This is educational and fun for the kids because they help out and learn a little about the environment.

2 comments:

  1. I love watching Jon and Kate Plus Eight! The show always brings good entertainment and makes me giggle a little :) I think if I was Jon and Kate I would go crazy and not be able to have a life doing what I wanted to do. It would be hectic, but fun! Jon and Kate seem to keep things under control. Having people help out with them is always nice so they can get some extra help with taking care of the kids and get away for a little and spend some alone time. I definetly give props to Jon and Kate for what they do! Miss you too Emily :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure do love watching Jon and Kate plus 8. Who knew that a T.V show centered around a camera following around a family could be so popular. Maybe if I have a lot of kids I will get paid and have my own T.V show. They can call it Nikki and her Sixety....I can see it now.
    People love shows that they can relate to and raising a family is something that most families would find entertaining.

    On another note...I found my romantic era blog very informative thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete